I know that when I did my last blog post, I said wait a bit and there will be a conclusion to the painting that I was working on....Image 1 shows a detail of this artwork below, it is almost finished- I started to stitch on this large canvas which is 5 feet wide by four feet in height, and even though the stitching is spaced it is taking a long time to finish because it is still labour intensive. You can see the stitching started below in Image 2. At the same time, I am also was working on a smaller piece approximately 16 by 20 inches and it too it taking a while to get done.... Image 3.
When I took a break from the embroidery I began to look at my studio and all the things that I save because it is a string or I think that I should be able to use it in another project.... I just don't want to throw anything out...'waste not want not' comes to mind.... because I really believe that recycling is what needs to happen and it is really difficult for me to ignore. I have this idea that I can re-use everything I bring into the studio.... so...
1 2 3
I started to go through all the storage boxes on my shelves... and the box I put all my cut threads in Image 5 below, and all the rolled up canvases too .... my studio was now a MESS which meant that creativity is in full swing. The rolled up canvases was my first project for recycling, now another work in progress...The first image below shows the quilt of paintings that is now ready to stretch....Image 4. At this stage in the studio, I am also working on the above artworks.... so now I am working on 3 pieces at once..... this quilt is made up of all the experimental paintings that I did in university.
I feel lucky that I can also recycle the paint water that I rinse my brushes with while painting... I save the water over the summer in a bucket and put it outside in the old garbage box until the winter. Our floors have in ground heating and the air recycles throughout the house from outside ventilation and then water evaporates when I place the paint water bucket on the studio floor on the edges of my studio. What is left in the buckets after the evaporation are round acrylic discs in the bottom of the bucket which I wedge out. You can see the result in the 6th image in the background at the right. I know that I will be saving each of these now - but I do think these are completed artworks/paintings already..... they are quite beautiful. In the foreground of the same image is what may be called a rag rug - but to me a fibre-painting that I started just before the quilt...... It began with all the threads that you see in image 5 below. I also used the cuttings from the quilt I just made; canvas with paint on it, to make the hand wound roping to add to the fibre painting. See Image 7 below to see the progress. I will continue to add to this, so, it too will become a byproduct of my art making. I am now thinking of adding the paint skins from my pallet and other droppings to this fibre painting, as well.
4 5 6 7